Alex JohnstoneGo Back
- Commercial arrangements – from heads of terms/short form agreements to complex/long-standing arrangements
- Creative services agreements (both client and supplier-facing)
- Fundraising arrangements, including corporate & celebrity partnerships and co-branding deals
- Sponsorship agreements and event management
- Technology development and licensing including SaaS arrangments
- Creation, protection and exploitation of copyright, design rights and trademarks
- Content acquisition, licensing and distribution
- Advertising and marketing clearances
- Format development and exploitation and production advice
- Creation, exploitation and disposal of IP rights
- Protection of confidential information
- Commercial law and IP training
Solicitor of England and Wales, 2000
Diploma in Personal Performance (in progress) and NLP Practitioner Qualification, The Coaching Academy 2016-2017
Postgraduate Diploma in UK, EU & US Law of Copyright & Related Rights, Kings College London 2004-2005
1995–1997 BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course and Postgraduate Diploma in Law (CPE), BPP Law School 1195 – 1997
BA Hons. American Literature, University of Sussex 1991–1995 University of Sussex
Alex specialises in Commercial, Intellectual Property and Media law and has over twenty years experience in private practice and in house. She possesses exceptional technical legal skills and, through managing legal teams has developed valuable training, mentoring, leadership and coaching skills.
Alex began her legal career with Olswang, qualifying into the Film and TV Department. She then joined Universal Pictures International, where she progressed to UK Director of Legal and Business Affairs, where she managed the team specialising in acquiring content for the UK home entertainment market. As Group Legal Counsel for several Omnicom Advertising Agencies, Alex negotiated commercial deals between agencies and their FTSE 100 clients as well as other creative suppliers and outsourcing arrangements. She also advised on compliance (including the CAP Codes, Ofcom Codes and Data Protection law), Intellectual Property rights (copyright, designs, patents, trademarks) and Employment issues. In 2012, Alex moved to Cancer Research UK to head up the Fundraising and Marketing legal team, becoming Joint Head of Legal in 2015. She advised on a multitude of matters, including high profile events such as the launch of ‘Stand Up to Cancer’ with Channel 4 and the London Art Trail featuring DNA-inspired sculptures by world renowned artists.
Since 2017, Alex has been a visiting lecturer in Commercial Law and Intellectual Property at BPP Law School. Her current practice includes negotiating deals and arrangements for start-ups as well as established companies, drafting/reviewing templates and advising on clients’ IP portfolios.